Search This Blog

Friday, January 28, 2011

Barbecups from Mommy... From 1975

Here's the recipe for Barbecups from 1975!  enjoy.....    love, mom

3/4 lb hamburger
1/2 cup catsup
1T instant minced onion
2T brown sugar
salt
1 tube (8oz) ref Tenderflake baking powder biscuits
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese

In skillet, brown hamburger.  Drain.  Add barbeque sauce, onion, brown sugar.  Set aside.  Separate biscuit dough into 12 biscuits.  Place 1 biscuit in each of 12 ungreased muffin cups, pressing dough up sides to edge of cup.  Spoon meat mixture into cups.  Sprinkle each with cheese.  Bake at 400 for 10-12 minutes or til golden brown.

Notes:  TL, on the farm we always had our own meat in larger packages.  The hamburger was probably 1 1/2 lbs--maybe a bit less.  With that in mind, I'd use 1/2-3/4 cup catsup, and I preferred browning some fresh onion with the hamburger rather than use the instant onion.  I also made my own biscuits and with that recipe, I'd get 24 cups.  I think the one package of hamburger would fill 24, but maybe a bit scantily.  I did note on my recipe that 1/2 cup bbq sauce was too much for 3/4lb hamburger.  Sometimes, rather than cheddar, I'd use Monterey Jack.  You'll just have to experiment, but the above recipe was the original as I had found it.

1 comment:

  1. I'd love to see a photo of these! Can you make some and invite us over and I'll photograph them right before I pop them in my mouth? Tee hee!!

    ReplyDelete