Tara’s Notes in Blue
1 large onion, chopped
1 Tbsp. ground cumin (MUCH more)
1 Tbsp. cooking oil
2 – 14 oz. cans of chicken broth
1 – 28 oz. can of fire roasted diced tomatoes
Use Mexican style stewed tomatoes,
OR stewed tomatoes with lime and cilantro (I like these the most).
4 cups chopped cooked chicken
2 or more cans of kidney, black or other beans
1 – 10 oz. pkg. frozen sweet whole kernel corn
1 – 4 oz. cans of diced green chile peppers OMIT
· In a 5-6 qt. Dutch oven, cook onion and cumin in hot oil over medium heat for 5 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently.
· Carefully add broth, undrained tomatoes, chicken, corn, and undrained chile peppers.
· Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered for 15 minutes.
· Season to taste with salt and ground black pepper.
· (You can continue to simmer longer if desired. This will tenderize the chicken and meld flavors even further.) I just throw it all in the crock pot and let it go!
· Ladle into bowls and top with Fritos, shredded cheese and/or sour cream.
OPTIONAL GARNISHES: Fresh cilantro, lime wedges, avocados, grape tomatoes, olives.
BRING ON THE HEAT: Add 1-2 teaspoons hot chili powder along with the cumin. Or, serve with bottled hot pepper sauce.
A NOTE ON TOMATOES: Muir Glen brand makes Fire-Roasted Diced Tomatoes (finally found at Albertson’s). You can also use 2 – 14 oz. cans Mexican-style stewed tomatoes (omit 1 can of the chile peppers).
You can completely change this to fit the likes or dislikes of your family. I like it soupier. Greg and Tiffany like it super thick!
11/7/09 Greg made for Brook/Brittany/Bryson’s Baby Shower.12/17/09: Made again for ROF Staff Christmas Party. Everyone brought condiments!